Septic tanks are essential for any home or business not connected to a municipal sewer system. Without a septic tank, sewage would back into the building, causing significant health and sanitation problems.
Septic tanks are large underground chambers that store sewage until it can be treated and discharged. Some of the most prevalent issues associated with septic tanks include:
- Overflowing sewage
- Backed up toilets
- Slow drains
- Gurgling sounds in plumbing fixtures
Fortunately, you can do a number of things to prevent septic tank problems. Here are a few tips:
- Pump your septic tank regularly: You may need to have it pumped every one to three years depending on the size and the number of people using it. This will remove the solid waste accumulated in the tank and allow it to function more efficiently.
- Don’t put everything down the drain: This includes cooking grease, coffee grounds, paper towels, and feminine hygiene products. These items can clog the pipes leading to your septic tank and cause it to back up.
- Don’t overuse your garbage disposal: While garbage disposals are convenient, they should not be used for every meal. When using it, run cold water through the disposal for 30 seconds before and after to keep food from sticking to the blades.
- Have your septic system regularly inspected: A professional can inspect your septic tank and pipes to ensure they are in good working condition. This is more important if you have had any recent repairs or renovations done on your home or business.
- Use water efficiently: Too much water can overload your septic system and cause it to fail.
Avoid using chemicals that can kill the beneficial bacteria in your septic tank: These chemicals can upset the balance of your septic system and cause it to malfunction.
Following these simple tips can help prevent septic tank problems and keep your home or business safe from sewage backups.
Need Affordable Septic Tank Services in Grass Valley, Ca and the surrounding areas?
If you need affordable septic tank services in Grass Valley, CA, look no further than Lazy Drains!
We offer various plumbing services, including septic tank services, like pumping, cleaning, and repairs. We also help you maintain your septic system to prevent future problems.
Contact us today at (530) 273-3007 to learn more about our septic tank services or schedule a consultation.